Graduate - Emily Dewell
I am a highly motivated and organised BSc Events Management graduate from the University of Plymouth with a keen interest in events, marketing and social media. I have gained experience in events and marketing, through undertaking a year in industry, having several part-time jobs alongside my studies and through completing two internships for local companies. These experiences have allowed me to build on my problem solving, teamworking and communication skills and I hope to apply these skills to a role within the events industry.
I am looking for either an internship opportunity to further my experience, or a full-time graduate role where I can develop my skills.
BSC EVENTS MANAGEMENT | UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH | 2017-2021
BSc Events Management: Achieved a first
o Relevant modules include ‘Business Strategy and Consultancy’, ‘Arts, Entertainment and the Media’, ‘Event Planning and Strategy’, ‘Promoting Events’ and ‘Entrepreneurship and Event Innovation’.
o During my degree I planned a 12-hour dance-a-thon event in aid of a local charity, including writing a cohesive Event Management Plan. I have also conducted consultancy work for a wedding company, to help improve their offering.
A LEVELS | SHIPLAKE COLLEGE, HENLEY-ON-THAMES | 2014-2016
· A levels: English Literature, B | Geography, B | Psychology, B
GCSE EXAMINATIONS | CRANFORD HOUSE SCHOOL, MOULSFORD | 2014
· 10 GCSEs, grade A* - B
STUDENT ENGAGEMENT ASSISTANT | UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH | SEPTEMBER 2020-MAY 2021
· Creating and managing social media content for different campaigns to encourage students to engage with the Careers Service and to advertise upcoming events.
· Writing content including a handbook publication for new Student Engagement Assistants coming into the role.
· Used communication and active listening skills with students, employers and academics through various media such as Waitwhile, Zoom and Cisco Jabber to discuss how the service can support them.
· Utilised skills in MS Office Suite, including primarily PowerPoint and Outlook for dealing with emails and creating social media posts.
SCHOOLS LIAISON AND EVENTS INTERN | BASINGSTOKE COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY | AUGUST 2019-JULY 2020
· During my year in industry, I was responsible for organising and delivering events at the college, including multiple applicant and open events, freshers’ fair, corporate lunches, and fundraising events, both in-person and virtually which allowed development of organisation and multi-tasking skills.
· Assigned the responsibility of the team manager and worked as part of a team to achieve department goals which enhanced teamwork and leadership skills.
· Managed multiple deadlines at any one time, improving time management skills as well as the ability to work independently very effectively.
· Attended external events to market the college as well as helping with several of the marketing activities within the department, including proof-reading the new college prospectus, assisting with the collection of case studies and writing a publication for the Schools Liaison team.
· Developed strong customer service skills through answering enquiries via email, telephone and face-to-face and by liaising with academics and senior members of staff both at the college and externally.
· Delivered engaging assemblies and presentations to groups of 100 or more students which improved confidence.
MARKETING ASSISTANT | HEALTH STAFF DISCOUNTS | MARCH 2019-DECEMBER 2019
· Developed skills in email marketing, social media and content writing.
· Assisted with writing copy for newsletters and social media posts on Facebook to advertise the services that the business was offering.
· Conducted research into mortgage trends in order to write informative articles for newsletters and social media to develop trusting relationships with clients which improved written and verbal communication skills and made information easier to read for users on social media.
STUDENT AMBASSADOR | UNIVERSITY OF PLYMOUTH | SEPTEMBER 2017 – JUNE 2021
· Delivered presentations and sample lectures to groups of prospective students at both in-person and online open events, which helped develop confidence.
· Conducted activities with these groups and was the first point of call for any enquiries about the university and the BSc Events Management course.
· Event Volunteer, Dartington Hall Wedding Fair – 2018
· Event Volunteer, The Venus Awards – 2018
· Event Volunteer, Plymouth University Students Union – 2017/2018
Awards and achievements
· Micro-internship ‘Weddings and Events Analysis Intern’ (2021) – designing wedding packages and associated marketing materials for a venue looking to expand their offering.
· Santander Online Self-Development Programme (2021)
· Hootsuite Social Marketing Course (2020)
· The Plymouth Award (an award for work and volunteering) (2019)
· The SPRINT Programme – Empowering Women in the Workplace (2019)
· IOSH Managing Safety (2018)
References are available on request.